How to Apply:
Please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail at Sun Prairie Public Library Foundation, 1350 Linnerud Dr., Sun Prairie, WI, 53590. The position will be open until it is filled.
The Sun Prairie Public Library Foundation is seeking a part-time, 20 hour/week Executive Director, with a salary range of $25,000-$30,000. This is a contractual position with no benefits.
The Sun Prairie Public Library Foundation was founded in 1999 and is based on a shared belief that the library provides a safe and inviting place for community members of all ages to enjoy lifelong learning by providing educational, cultural and recreational opportunities for all people.
The Foundation is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization and operates independently of any government oversight. The Board is governed by an executive committee. The Foundation currently holds more than $1.4 Million in assets, which are invested to generate income for the library. Revenue is generated from individual giving, and two signature events during the year, including a Spring Fundraiser and the annual Book’n It Run in August. The Foundation recently worked with a consulting firm to create a 3 year development plan for the board for 2019-2022.
Sun Prairie Public Library
The Sun Prairie Public Library was established in 1901 and has been in its current building for 20 years. It is a popular destination in the growing Sun Prairie community. In 2018, 232,931 people visited the library and checked out 635,368 physical items with total program attendance at 29,634. This year’s Summer Reading program had a total of 3,361 babies, children, teens and adults registered.
The library is currently in the beginning stages of an expansion project, in the hopes to increase the square footage of its current facility. With an improved and expanded library facility, the growing population will have the spaces and resources to participate in, connect with, and discover their worlds, their community and themselves through diverse library materials, programs, meeting spaces, and low-tech and high-tech tools.
The Foundation seeks an energetic, highly motivated, detail-oriented individual to help lead us into the next phase of our development, as we move towards a Capital Campaign for the library expansion. This is a newly created position. The Executive Director serves as the chief development officer, providing both leadership and operational management for all SPPL Foundation activities. The Executive Director works in partnership with the Foundation Board, Friends Board and the Library Director. The Executive Director reports to the SPPL Foundation’s Executive Committee.
Major Areas of Responsibility
1. Plans and manages all areas of individual and corporate giving including planned giving, annual campaigns and solicitation of major gifts. This will involve cultivating and communicating regularly with current donors and developing new supporters and donors.
2. Prepares and supports the SPPL Foundation Board of Directors to expand their capacity for supporting the Sun Prairie Public Library’s activities.
3. Works with the Library Director to identify library needs that are appropriate for private funding. This includes working with the Library Director during the Fundraising Feasibility and Capital Campaign process, cultivating donors for the project and providing support to staff and committee members during the process.
4. Establishes and coordinates donor recognition activities.
Operational-40% (with support from Foundation Administrative Assistant)
1. Monitors and evaluates all operations on a continuing basis to ensure results that fulfill the mission and annual goals of the Foundation, including the preparation and distribution of the annual report to the community.
2. Works with the Special Events Committee to host the Foundation’s signature events.
3. Works with Library Director and Staff Liaison to the Friends Board on promoting and supporting Friends of the Sun Prairie Public Library activities and membership.
4. Writes and submits grants to appropriate funders.
• Meet regularly with the Library Director to maintain a strong relationship between the SPPL Foundation and the Library.
• Attend Foundation Board and committee meetings.
• Coordinate communications between the Foundation Board, the Library Director and the Library Board.
• Helps maintain Foundation’s website and social media pages.
A minimum of three to five years of experience in fundraising for nonprofit organizations. A bachelor’s degree in a relevant field, or the equivalent in combination of education and related experience is preferred. Experience with individual donor solicitation preferred. Strong leadership and organizational skills, as well as excellent writing and communication skills. Experience in public relations or marketing is desired.
How to Apply:
Please submit a cover letter and resume to or by mail at Sun Prairie Public Library Foundation, 1350 Linnerud Dr., Sun Prairie, WI, 53590. The position will be open until it is filled.